Saturday, June 23, 2007

New Wallabies Jersey


Our nation Rugby teams has just unveiled the jersey they will be wearing in their quest to take their third world cup.

The Peter Parker inspired creation of suppliers Canterbury has brought mixed reaction, and it is only early days.

It features rubber web like inserts around the shoulders meant for grip in the scrum. They called it a "one percenter".

To me the best Wallabies jersey was from the Nick Farr Jones (left) led team that won in 1991. Plain gold with a green collar, green shorts and green and gold socks. Then Reebok came along and tried to mess with it (right). Is this just a case of another clothing manufacturer taking science two far? Or should we be more accepting of jersey innovations? After all, it's just laundry. If you can't play then the most scientifically enhanced jersey is not going to help. Sometime I would just like the jersey to be left alone as most of the time older versions look better than newer fancier creations.

1 comment:

Ferdy said...

I agree - I'm not so keen on the new Wallaby uniform.
Hey - by the way, thanks for the ad. I've put you on my favourites list. All the best.