Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Changing Mid Stream

I have never liked seeing players signing with other clubs before the season is out. The most recent examples of signings have been:
  • Craig Wing from Sydney Roosters to Souths
  • Joel Clinton from Penrith to Brisbane
  • Peter Wallace from Penrith to Brisbane
  • Mark O'Meley from Canterbury to Sydney Roosters
I can only speak from personal experience here. I played with Baulkham Hills juniors in the Sydney AFL for five years. Midway through my last season in U/18's I knew I wasn't going to be there the next year. My performance dropped as my heart wasn't at the club anymore, it was already looking forward to the next year with a new club.

I can't see how these footballers are able to put in their all when there is no future for them at that club. What if things aren't to well? How do team mates react to the one who is going elsewhere, jumping ship it may be called.

Penrith have dealt with this in a way by dropping Wallace to reserve grade and promoting their latest recruit Richie Williams from St George.

That's the other thing. I have never seen so many players change clubs mid season and play first grade straight away. Granted there have only been 2 or 3 but previously I have never seen any, so that a 200% + increase on previous years.

No comments: