Saturday, June 23, 2007

I Can't Take It

I must be the worst at watching my own team when the chips are down.


Saturday night Vs Collingwood was one of the worst games I have seen the Swans play. Coinciding with one of the biggest blown opportunities I have ever seen. A win would have pulled Sydney up to forth, while a loss has left them crowded back in the pack with all the other final eight aspirants.

I think what gets me the most is that after watching a game like that on TV I feel like I have just wasted a Saturday night where I could have been more productive. It's different being at the game because the crowd can make even a poor game somewhat enjoyable.

I need to turn off and get away from it just for my own sanity. I check in every now and then, if things have improved I might stick around, otherwise I continue with other pursuits.

I can be very philosophical after a loss. Pretty much all the losses we have had this season we have deserved to lose. We are no longer the team of 2005, we had a small window of opportunity and we took it and I am grateful for that opportunity to celebrate a premiership. At least I can say that my team won a grand final in my lifetime. Not all supporters can say that.

I don't think I could be called a sook by walking away from the TV. I don't go off and sulk (what a sook would do). Rather, I go and do other things that are a better use of that time. Why potentially sacrifice mental health just for the sake of it?

Of course if my team completes a magical comeback to win I would be disappointed to have missed it. Unfortunately though, this year has brought more horrible losses than miraculous comebacks (eg Semi Final 2005 Vs Geelong), so I have felt justified in my absence.

Now that the game is officially over I can now publish this post.

No comments: