Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Soccer Beefs

I really tried to show some persistence in Australia's Asian Cup debut, but when the game is 90% dull, 8% interesting and 2 % exciting I'm going to want to flick channels occasionally. Then I flick back from CSI and someone has scored. In this case it was the Oman team which made the game more interesting as it would have been slightly embarrassing for the Socceroos to lose their opening game, considering they are the favourites to win the whole show.

The Socceroos seem to under perform when it is most needed. I'm talking mainly of previous World Cup playoffs against Iran and the first time we played Uruguay as I think we all know what happened the most time we played them. Having everything to play for but not matching the importance of the game with their intensity or desperation.

They were lucky to get away with a draw against Oman. Some might say it was some Tim Cahill brilliance. Rather it was a lucky deflection that planted the ball at Cahill's right foot ready to strike at a relatively open goal.

Next time I'll try and watch more and maybe, just maybe I'll catch a goal or two live.

No comments: